Activities / Initiatives
List by estate
List by Category
List by Province
On October 19th of last year, the VIII edition of the Selection of Tuscan Wines came to a close in Siena, proving once more the enological prominence of the region.
In fact, of the 1,206 labels that entered, 807 (67%) passed the scrupulous panel of 10 juries operating under the Union International des Oenologues method. It was a little down from the last edition (2006), in which 77% of the wines passed. Morevor, of the 807 wines, 303 (25%) earned special mention, scoring at least 85 points.
A bouquet of excellence will be used to promote the development of new contacts with special chain managers, buyers of “Great Organized Distribution”, and the channel Ho.Re.Ca.
All of this is an effort to contine to “push” our wines onto various international markets.
The slight drop in the number of wines selected this year is due to the fact that the Selection committee raised the minimum score from 80 to 82. The change was made to induce Tuscan producers to make ever greater quality wine.
The results show improvement. If in fact the minimum score was 82 points in 2006, 57% instead of 77%, of the wines would have been selected.
The 2008 Selection has seen a 10% increase in the number of wines selected, with a score equal or superior to 82.
The List of Selected WinesThis year three types of lists will be published (you can download the attachments): Estate, Category and Province.
New for the 2008 editionThe recently concluded Selection of Tuscan Wines introduced a number of new facets to the competition.
The top 5 wines in each category that received the best score were awarded the “Diploma d’Onore” and those wines that had a score equal or superior to 85 were given the “Diploma di Menzione Speciale.”
There were also new additions to the categories, that brought the number of types from 15 to 17, all biennial. To make the subdivisions of IGT reds clearer, a minimum cap of 75% domestic or imported grapes was implaced, forming two categories (domestic IGT reds; imported IGT reds) and two sections were created for wines with a blend of grapes: IGT red blends (2006-07 harvest) and IGT red blends (harvest prior to 2005).
As usual, the participating wines were judged by the Union International des Oenologues, with 10 juries made up of 7 members: 5 wine experts, 1 sommelier and 1 journalist.
The Selection of Tuscan Wines is an organized wine competition held every two years thanks to Toscana Promozione, in collaboration with the Enoteca Italiana di Siena, the Associazione Enologi Enotecnici Italiani, the Province, the Consorzi di Tutela, the Chamber of Commerce and ICE.
- 10th Edition of the Lucano Wine Festival
- VIIIa SELECION OF TUSCAN WINES
17-18-19 October 2008
Enoteca Italiana - Siena
- Happy Wine
- February 18th: Early closure due to football match
- 7-25 January 2013: Closed for inventory
- Enoteca Italiana will close at 7pm on July 20th, Friday
- 30th of June - 3rd of July: Bianco Rosso e Rosè - the first festival of the rosè wine!!
- Closed for inventory from January 9 to 29
- Vintage Happy Hour: Every tuesday from 8,30 pm!
- Ciak si gira! - Ecco il Video Concorso di Vino&Giovani
- 45° Settimana dei Vini 2011 - 27 Maggio/21 Giugno
- Enoteca Italiana porta il vino toscano sulle “Tavole Reali”
- WINE WEDDING &FOOD
- "Italian Spumante ‘08-‘09: More Than a Guide, a Book that Guides”
- The Via Francigena
- "Le sublimazioni" come back!
- Map of Wines in the Province of Siena
- Enoteca Italiana at FIFA World Cup 2010
- Enoteca Italiana at Winter Olympic Games
- BRASILE Workshop, San Paolo 29 October 1st November 2007
- Together in the World: a Success in Brazil
Copyright © 2007 Enoteca Italiana - All rights reserved